Sunday, October 24, 2010

Over the Rainbow - Gay Pride

This week I took part in a facebook mission, which was to wear purple on Wednesday to commemorate the young people who have commited suicide as a result of bullying due to being gay. This week I have also started reading the blog Queer Opinions, which is written by a small group of people, one who is my friend Zach - who just came out to his friends this year, and it was reading his story that encouraged me to write this post.
I personally knew I was gay years ago, I never had feeling for men at all - infact the thought of them repulsed me (no offence men!!! LOL). I never told anybody because I was living in a highly religious world, I thought I had to be someone I wasn't - and I lived that act from the age of 17. In a sense being religious helped me - I wasn't ready to come out and I was afraid of being judged because I wasn't dating......... in that world no-one cared, but since coming out EVERYONE has an opinion.
To be fair I had massive opinions at the age of 21 - but they weren't mine, they were church opinions. Church opinions that caused me to have a MASSIVE issue with some ladies on a forum, I thought I was saying the right thing when in actual fact I wasn't - it was unfair of me to lie about MY opinions and to anyone that was hurt by my actions I apologise to you now. I haven't gone to church in about 4 years now, I don't agree with "organised" religion and I am, finally, in a happy place in my life.
Coming out was a huge thing for me, I met my, now, gorgeous wife and we clicked - we were best friends for just over a year before we both came out to each other and started our relationship - it was the best thing I've ever done. Telling my family and my friends was easy - I didn't come up against adversity with those nearest and dearest to me. I did have a few people in my life who are no longer in my life, which is their choice (not mine). For me, coming out has freed me - I feel happy, loved and I'm married to the best woman in the whole world (not that I'm biased!!!) - it feels amazing.

I'm off now, I just felt so inspired. I'll be back in a few days with some layout pics. CIAO xx

5 comments:

Sarah said...

well done on being true to yourself. That's often the hardest part of life. Hope you and your wife have a happy future together and keep surrounded by those who love you both for who you are not what they want you to be xxx

zactak12 said...

Nicely said :) I'm glad you were able yo be truthful to yourself and those around you. I'm glad everyone around you was supportive of you! Your wedding looked like it was great and you deserve to be happy. I'm so proud of you.

Thanks for the shout out to mine and ny friends' blog.

Kirsty.A said...

Well said. Being true to yourself is often he hardest thing.

Anne said...

Fab post. I'm so glad you've found happiness!

deb famularo said...

Good for you for being true to yourself. Your true friends will stand by you, and those who don't- well, they aren't your true friends and you're better off without them. You know, my son is being bullied and called 'gay' constantly Vicki. It is so bad, that is the reason we sold our home. Something has to be done about bullying. I'm praying for all the young people affected by this- it's horrible, and as parents, suicide is our greatest fear and it is very real. xOxO